[Shotimes] Alignment Specs

Leigh Smith leighsm@comcast.net
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:54:31 -0400

That should be ideal to give you maximum tire life, and not degrade handling
enough that you would ever notice it on the street. Heavy autocross or track
duty is a whole 'nother animal.  For an occassional autocross I wouldn't
even worry about it. For the street, you may have trouble getting that
little camber anyway, may not be enough adjustment. If not, just try to keep
it under 1.0, but keep them even R/L.

For occasional track duty, you could try it, but you run for long enough
periods of time there, you may want to consider making alignment changes
just for track days. You don't want to burn off an outside edge and kill a
tire. Once I saw a guy smoke a $250 front tire on a mustang tire in 2
minutes flat. Adding a lot of tire pressure helps. Check for
recommendations.

On the need for more camber, even on track days, its even harder to predict.
So much depends on your suspension set-up, and even your driving style, its
hard to generalize. Probably just max it out, like 1-1/2 to 2.0 neg. That'd
be safe. Unless someone else has some settings they found that work better
for maximum contact patch, minimum tire wear, even temperatures, etc.

Do you need to change camber for track days?? You could just go easy at
first and monitor the front tire edge frequently in the beginning. Others
will help guide you at the event if you need to adjust. If you needed to,
you could reset camber on the front of a SHO trackside in 10 minutes, and
put it back when you are done. That's how I would start.

My 2-1/2 cents
Lee