[Shotimes] Rear strut pinch bolt jammed - any ideas?

Dave Kegel d.kegel@comcast.net
Mon, 1 Aug 2005 19:31:47 -0500

Get a MAPP gas torch and heat the crap out of it.  It will come out.

If it snaps, you'll have to drill it out and use a nut and bolt.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Leigh Smith
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 6:12 PM
To: SHOTIMES
Subject: [Shotimes] Rear strut pinch bolt jammed - any ideas?

George or any other suspension gurus;
HELP - SHO down!
I'm doing a Koni strut install on my 100k mi '94 SHO
It's not rusty underneath, but the pinch bolt is jammed so tight I'm afraid
I'll snap it. It is un-threading, but the sholder section is so tight:
1) it takes 150-180 lb of torque to turn it. Since the torque setting is
like 60 ft-lbs I'm afraid it'll snap if I keep forcing it.
2) The shoulder part is jammed enough that it spread the knuckle open 7.5mm
at the tab gap. I cut the tab off and now have the strut out but not the
bolt. I have tried a 2-1/2 ft breaker bar, mopar rust penetrant, my propane
torch, and a new Craftsman 350 ft lb impact gun. Although I think the impact
gun may be choked down with the 1/4 in line, and I may need to go bigger.
Recommendations? Should I fix the impact gun line and go for it? (If it
spreads the knuckle much farther I am afraid that will crack.) Should I pull
the knuckle and take it to a shop?
(PIA)
Or just heat the *** out of it since the gas strut is now out of the way?
(might get lucky) Or just tighten it back up? (and pray... or ... take it to
a shop for bolt removal) I've never had rust stop me til now... My 89 never
did this with 4 strut installs. I believe there is some other difference in
the knuckle other than just ABS and rotor size. Lee