adjusting cams was Re: [Shotimes] Help with engine stumble in 95 MTX

Jim & Debbie Leyden jndleyden@comcast.net
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 19:39:44 -0400

Ian,

The correct sequence of a four stroke cycle engine is Intake, Compression,
Power (or expansion) and Exhaust, then start over.  So in reality, the
intake follows the exhaust.  Therefore, in order to increase overlap, you
would retard the exhaust cam (keeps it open later) and advance the intake
cam (opens it sooner).  Three degrees sounds close and it can be done
without the adjustable sprockets.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Ian Fisher
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 3:28 PM
To: Zach Leahy; George Fourchy
Cc: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: adjusting cams was Re: [Shotimes] Help with engine stumble in 95
MTX

Interestingly enough, a lot of people I have spoken to
have (or plan on) retarding their exhaust cams 3
degrees to dial out overlap when using reground cams.

On the other hand, Lance Cheney has his exhaust cam
advanced 3 degrees to dial out overlap. Technically,
this seems to make more sense, right?

Intake valves open first followed by the exhaust. If
the exhaust cams are advanced 3 degrees, they'll close
sooner and spend less time open while the intake
valves are open. Does this make sense?

I am not going to install my +20's straight up. I plan
on either advancing or retarding them 3 degrees to
start with. I just need to figure out which way to go.
I know that at 0 degrees of adjustment, there is too
much overlap so I'm not even going to bother with that
setting.

Ian