[Shotimes] Oil Usage

Zach Leahy leahyz@gmail.com
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:54:23 -0500

Yeah Don is right on, there is no magic cure for oil use, and
primarily in SHO's it's through the valvetrain.  I redid mine at 160k
with the rest of the motor and it is very conservative on oil usage (1
qt per change depends on how I drive).  Without going in and checking
valve guides and seals there is no way to improve the oil consumption.

Having the valves re-done while a daunting job, really does not carry
an obscenly large price tag IF you R+R the heads, cams, tappets etc.
yourself.  Your costs will be a couple hundred in seals/gaskets and
then about probably about 500 to do the actual valve work, depending
on the parts price, and if all the guides are bad.  If you get into it
and find a lot of bad guides, it may be worth considering picking up a
newer set of heads from a know good engine.  I had mine (guides)
checked, and they were fine at 160k, so I still have original
valves/guides.  I had the shop put in new seals and do a nice valve
grind job and deck the heads flat.  The engine ran nice and strong
after that, course it was basically like new with the reworked heads,
new rings and bearings in the lower end, all the wear parts replaced.

Sorry I can't tell you it's an easy thing, it's just not.  I recommend
Don's approach, just keep putting oil in it.