[Shotimes] Run Screaming - Tire Thead

Zach Leahy leahyz@gmail.com
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:25:28 -0500

But not your typical.

I am going to be replacing my track tires here in the near future.  I
started with my old R1s at Putnum and had good luck except I had a
tire that was loosing air slowly.  I also had issues with the last
lap.....  i came off the track and broke at least a couple cords in
one of the tires.  So now, 2 have issues, one that is unusable, and
according to Ron, they are a bunch of boat anchors anyway :)

So, I am looking for a new set of Competition grade rubber, size is
likely 245/45/17 or 245/40/17.  These will be on an 8" rim, which
should be acceptable.  I know Ron, I should run a 205 on a 8" is what
your gonna tell me.

So what is the general consensus.  I liked my old R1's they wore like
iron and stuck like comp rubber.  problem was that they were old, and
now damaged.  They also had very little warning of breaking loose, it
was comfy and all felt normal, but they made so little noise that it
was hard to find the "threshold" on them.  Probably true of a lot of
comp tires.

Other idea is to go with a good max performance summer tire, like a
gforce KD or something, and use it primarily on the track/autox but be
able to drive on it too.

Likely will see a couple track events a year and a couple autox's a year.

thoughts?