[Shotimes] Speed Upgrades

Mark Nunnally Mark Nunnally <marknunnally@joimail.com>
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:35:03 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

>but for a few hundred $, you
>can have yourself an honest 20hp/20tq gain that you'll
>feel on the street.

Back when I got my 3.2L for the 89, you couldn't find them!  Was back before every Tom Dick and Harry had a parts ATX in the driveway.  Had to drive to Ohio to get it.

The 3.2L/MTX is a great mod.  Folks always talk about the 89 being a gutted piece, but remember I ran it basically in street/stock weight trim for like 6 months (the black car).  I put the 3.2L in with typical bolt ons (MAF/UDP'sYPipe/Exhaust) drove it down to silver dollar raceway in GA and ran 14.1@98+ right out of the box, full interior.  A few months later only 55 lbs lighter (no passenger seat, swapping interiors that weekend and didn't finish) it went 13.9@99.7 in cool air.  No, not a great drag car by todays performance car standards, but not bad.  Even with a heavier car (like my 92, 200 lbs more) it's still a 14.20 or 14.30 car.

What's amazing is 220 hp back in the last 80s was a big deal.  A real big deal for a american made sedan.  The vette/mustang were only 245/225.  In the same relation today, it would be like Ford coming out with a 450 hp 6-speed sedan.  Just shows you how crazy cars are today, truly the golden age of hot rodding!

mark