[Shotimes] Where to buy a helmet?

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 15:33:18 -0400

For anyone who is gonna spend over $200-300 on a helmet (which everyone
should, for a good one), go with an SA helmet. At those price levels, SA and
M are closer in price, plus you get the benefit of not having a hassle at a
track event. More & more tracks are gong to the SA standard.

I originally got the Bell M2 (an SA helmet) because I thought that I would
also use it if I ever got the cycle back on the road. The M2 has a bigger
eye opening to fit glasses, plus has better side vision. When this helmet
becomes outdated in the next few years (it's an SA1995), I will keep it for
any possible motorcycle use, and will probably go with an open-face SA
helmet for track events.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Zach Leahy
Sent: Sunday, August 28, 2005 1:48 PM
To: Paul L Fisher
Cc: V8List SHO; Shotimes
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Where to buy a helmet?

Paul,

everyone has different shaped heads, some are more oval and some are
more round.  If you want a helmet that really fits correctly you need
to consider this as well.  I needed to get one that was rounder than a
lot.  It could be very simply that you need to be properly fitted for
a good helmet.  I would say go to a good motorcycle shop, one that has
a lot of gear (not a HD shop as they have very few helmets generally)
and tell them what your plans are.  I have M helmets, not SA and I
have never had any issues with them at tech.

I bought a G-force helmet, and while it fit ok, or at least I thought
it did, it was not comfortable, and not nice.  I recommend that if you
plan on using it for any amount of time that you look at the comfort
of the helmet.  If you plan on only using it for occasional track
events, then comfort is not that big of an issue.

I retired my Gforce helmet this year, becasue It was garbage for the
service I needed it for.  I need a helmet that can be used every day,
and can be worn for 13+ hours straight.  I use mine both in the car at
events and on the motorcycle on the street.  It gets double duty so
for me fit, finish, and comfort well outweighed the price.   I ended
up with an Arai Quantum II after spending some time getting fitted for
one locally and having it shipped in.  Yeah it's $520 for the helmet,
but it is a good investment if you ask me.

So, to get back to my original points,

1) How often do you plan to use it, and how important is the comfort?
2) To really get a properly fitting helmet you need to be measured and
have the right helmet shape to fit your head.