[Shotimes] Power steering question Gen I or III

Leigh Smith leighsm@comcast.net
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:01:57 -0400

Yes, I tried that. Got 3 levels of assist.
The problem with doing it that way with restricting the fluid flow is the
boost does not have a linear response. It is very stiff at parking lot
speeds, and still too soft at speed. Finding or correcting the right spool
valve corrects the effort the right way.
What I am looking for is a consistently firm 50-60 inch lbs of effort
(torque) at the steering wheel, regardless of car speed, to get excellent
steering feel and tire feedback. Right now I got about half that with VAPS.
The whole purpose of VAPS is to make it easy to park, it's got nothing to do
with steering feel. It's still soft at speed.
The 89 rack is closer.
My minivan is even closer.
My old race car was even firmer than that, and a little more than I want
now.
The VAPS on mid-boost is kinda close, but a little heavy at low speed and a
little light at high speed.
Lee