[Shotimes] Power steering question Gen I or III

Ian Fisher dataflash@yahoo.com
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 13:27:23 -0700 (PDT)

I bought this question up a few weeks ago and Chris
Archer responded. Apparently he and Kirk Doucette have
done a few of these swaps but Chris feels that it's
not worthwhile unless the gen3 subframe is also
swapped over (not exactly plug and play but possible
with some modifications). I have a spare gen3 rack and
my spare gen1/2 subframe. The bolt holes on the
subframe are close but it appears that they would need
to be elongated. Unfortunately I don't have the studs
and nuts that hold the rack to the subframe so I can't
really experiment too much. One of the other
considerations are the different high and low pressure
line fittings and orientations as well as the VAPs
module itself. It would appear that the VAPs probably
can't be used on the gen3 SHO rack (in a gen2). The
gen2 recieves it's VAPS signal from the VSS whereas
the gen3 VAP's recieves its signals from the SARC
module. I've "heard" that the electrical connectors
are the same but I do not know if the signals are
compatiable at all.

I could probably be happy with a gen3 SHO rack that
doesn't use the VAPS. Unfortunately this swap is such
a PITA that trial and error experimentation won't be
much fun.

IIRC, someone told me that gen3 inner tie rods must be
used with gen1/2 outer tie rods...

Ian