[Shotimes] Re: (OT) '06 Evo IX

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 01:35:05 -0400

The "more connected" feeling is not always said in a good way. Long-term
tests have not liked the Evo as a daily driver, as it is rather rough and
touchy. The new MR model with the softer struts is supposed to be more
livable. Phil Sanford said he could feel every pebble in the street with the
stock tires, so he replaced them with something less aggressive.

They are two similar cars, and folks have their favorites. Bottom line is
that the STI still has 25% more displacement, and has been significantly
quicker out-of-the-box. The Evo IX is getting closer, but it is still down
on cubes, HP and torque. Yes, the mods are there, but less mods are needed
on the STI to stay ahead. Minor point is that you have to get the MR to get
the 6-speed that the STI has stock, but in reality, on a turbo engine, I
don't see it as being a big deal.

Yes, they are both incredible cars for the money, and both have the
potential to get 500+ at the wheels, and keeping them to 400-450 at the
wheels still keeps them as dependable daily drivers.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Ian Fisher
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 6:30 PM
To: TechSHO@topica.com; Shotimes
Subject: [Shotimes] Re: (OT) '06 Evo IX

I'm considering 1 of 2 cars in the next 2 years. A
used EVO VIII or XI and/or a used BMW 540i sport (6
speed). I've driven the EVO VIII and it is simply
amazing. A lot of people have said that it feels a lot
more connected than the STi and the power difference
is nill considering the amount of effective yet
cheaper aftermarket mods. I can't wait to drive an IX.
I don't know if anyone here watches the Japanese "Best
Motoring" TV series on DVD that's sold here in the US.
I have more than one episode that pits the EVO against
some really high dollar cars. It usually hangs neck
and neck with the new turbo 911's (professional
drivers who drive the snot out of the cars). OTOH, the
WRX's and STi's usually get lost a few cars back. For
the money,  the EVO is an amazing bargain.

Ian