[Shotimes] RE: (OT) '06 Evo IX

Paul L Fisher sho@paul-fisher.com
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:27:41 -0500

You have said this a couple of times now but I don't get it. I have done the
'Inspection II' on a 2000 M Roadster and a 1997 328is and it cost me about
$100 each. I plan on doing the same on my new 2000 540i that I'm getting
this Friday as well and that one will cost around $150, due to the fact that
the fuel filter is close to $60 and it has 8 spark plugs.

Brakes, rotors and other parts I've bought have been the same or cheaper
than the SHO.

Reading forums for the cars, I don't see any more maintenance than the SHO
requires.

I did buy the reset tool but it's only $140 or so and pays for itself
quickly.

Paul L Fisher

Visit my website: http://www.paul-fisher.com
SHOClub Member: http://www.shoclub.com
Amsoil dealer: http://www.paul-fisher.com/oil

-----Original Message-----
From: Donald Mallinson [mailto:dmall@mwonline.net]
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 8:37 AM
To: TechSHO@topica.com
Cc: Shotimes
Subject: Re: (OT) '06 Evo IX

Hershey'sR or GhirardelliR Chocolate?
Take our Nationwide Chocolate Survey today!
Receive a FREE* $100 restaurant gift card of your choice or $100
worth Hershey'sR or GhirardelliR Chocolate for participating!
http://click.topica.com/caadOv3b1dhxAbPWQxCa/Chocolate Survey

Ian,

I have not owned anything like the Evo, but I did have a 540isport
6-speed.  It was a wonderful car that cost a BUNCH to maintain.  Think
fixing SHO's is expensive?  Wait till you hit the maintenance cycle of
the 540.  You will do cat converters, syncro's in the tranny, bunches of
electronics in the dash unless you want to put up with all sorts of
blinking and missing lights.  The engines are nearly bulletproof, but
they leak a lot, and expect to replace or repair the radiator a time or
two.  Then there is the major tune-up, unless you just buy the reset
tool and pay it later or let someone else pay for that huge bill.

The two cars you are considering are at almost polar opposite ends of
the car spectrum.  the 540 is an all-day comfortable car that is fast
for a big heavy car and I know they will do a track day and be fun, but
they aren't agile.  MPG is better than you might think though, I was
getting mid 20's easily on trips and high teens, low 20's mixed driving.

The Evo is a tool for rally and not going to be much fun on the
highway.  You may enjoy it at the autocross or a track day, or the
occasional blast through good roads, but live with it on a daily basis
on bad roads or heavy traffic and you may want an automatic tranny quick.

Both are excellent in their nitch and both may be expensive to
maintain.  It just seems funny to be considering both in the same
sentence since they are so different.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Don Mallinson

Ian Fisher wrote:

>I'm considering 1 of 2 cars in the next 2 years. A
>used EVO VIII or XI and/or a used BMW 540i sport (6
>speed). I've driven the EVO VIII and it is simply
>amazing. A lot of people have said that it feels a lot
>more connected than the STi and the power difference
>is nill considering the amount of effective yet
>cheaper aftermarket mods. I can't wait to drive an IX.
>I don't know if anyone here watches the Japanese "Best
>Motoring" TV series on DVD that's sold here in the US.
>I have more than one episode that pits the EVO against
>some really high dollar cars. It usually hangs neck
>and neck with the new turbo 911's (professional
>drivers who drive the snot out of the cars). OTOH, the
>WRX's and STi's usually get lost a few cars back. For
>the money,  the EVO is an amazing bargain.
>
>Ian

Get up to $1500.00 Fast and Easy!
No Credit Checks! No Paper Hassles! Nothing To Fax!
Apply Online and We'll Contact You Within the Hour!
http://click.topica.com/caadOuob1dhxAbPWQxCf/911PaydayAdvance