[Shotimes] Re: Brake bias plugs

Bill Murray fordsho@cloud9grafx.com
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 21:30:31 -0500

Ron, keep in mind that a lot of modern cars do still have a prop valve, it's
integrated into the Master Cylinder though.  It obviously isn't actuated by
the suspension either though.

FWIW, I like my bias plugs on my 93.  I have functioning ABS and I haven't
had a problem with the rears locking yet, not even on the track at Lime
Rock.

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Porter [mailto:ronporter@prodigy.net]
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 9:17 PM
To: 'Rich Bruso'; shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] Re: Brake bias plugs

The plugs work fine without ABS.

FWIW, I put the plugs into my previous POS "rare green" '95. I didn't find
out until the first icy day that the ABS was inop....somewhere along the
line, someone even pulled the ABS light out of the IP cluster (I bought the
car in late November that year)!!

Anyway I drove through most of the winter with no ABS and the plugs
installed. On hard braking, the rears "maybe" locked a fraction before the
fronts, but it was a total non-issue.

Folks need to keep I mind that the prop valve was put there in the first
place for the front disc/rear drum cars, to keep the drums from locking up
fro the additional pressure that disc brakes require. Cars like my Subaru,
with four-wheel discs, don't have a valve in there at all.

The pure rumor that the bias plugs are bad for a non-ABS '89 is purely
that.....a rumor, and not based on anyone really trying it. AFAIK, I am the
only one who has actually tried this, and it has NO effect on the brake
operation.