[Shotimes] New Ford SUV safety campaign...MOOO

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Tue, 01 Feb 2005 18:04:04 -0600

Wow, saw the new Ford SUV TV campaign today on the Today Show.

This is I guess, the result of the class action suit about
the rollovers and Firestone tire fiasco a couple years ago.
  In this case, I am on Ford's side, it was mainly caused by
people not keeping their tires inflated that caused all the
failures.

Anyway, as part of the settlement, Ford had to do a safety
advertising campaign to get people to drive more carefully
in their SUV's.  As if SUV's already don't get enough bad
press, Ford chose a woolly Mammoth type monster with an SUV
grill and headlights to promote safety.

As someone that has a degree in broadcasting and a lot of
experience in advertising, all I can say is if they wanted
to increase the negative public image of an SUV while
promoting almost nothing about safe driving and maintenance,
then they hit a home run.

Wonder if the SHO cam class action goes against Ford if the
only settlement will be a TV campaign telling people not to
drive their cars because the cams might fail?

Don Mallinson