[Shotimes] Fretting

Jason Hartberger at3hartberger@mail.com
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:24:29 -0500

 From the Navy publication on Corrosion (actually it's from chapter four
of the Aviation Maintenance Ratings [AMR, NAVEDTRA 14022] if you're
interested, but it's from the 504 originally) states:

Fretting corrosion is a limited but highly damaging
type of corrosion. It is caused by a slight vibration,
friction, or slippage between two contacting surfaces
that are under stress and heavily loaded. It is usually
associated with machined parts. Examples of these
parts are the area of contact of bearing surfaces, two
mating surfaces, and bolted or riveted assemblies. At
least one of the surfaces must be metal. In fretting
corrosion, the slipping movement on the contacting
surface destroys the protective films that are present
on the metallic surface. This action removes fine
particles of the basic metal. The particles oxidize and
form abrasive materials, which further agitate within
a confined area to produce deep pits. Such pits are
usually located in an area that increases the fatigue
failure potential of the metal. Early signs of fretting
corrosion are surface discoloration and the presence of
corrosion products in lubrication. Lubrication and
securing the parts so that they are rigid are effective
measures to prevent this type of corrosion.

Yes, the navy has a publication on everything. Yes, even proper condom
usage. If it exists, the navy has it documented at length. *sigh*

Jason