[Shotimes] SHO down, codes pulled, owner worried

Vasquez, Floyd E. fvasquez@visionbroadcast.com
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:21:46 -0700

hello SHO-folk,

My 92 (144K) is down and i'm worried.  The car is well maintained, to include
full 60K 11 months ago (plus 3 years of constant care).  Always starts right
up.  Last friday started 'er up and drove out of the driveway at work and
"clunk" she died - kinda felt like when my CPS died on the freeway.  This time
she won't start back up.  Pushed it back into the secure lot and went back
today to take a look and pull the codes:

codes say:  542 Fuel pump open  543 - Fuel pump circuit shows no power  556
fuel pump relay primary circuit failure plus 116 ECT sensor out of range and
114 IAT sensor out of range.

When I turn the ignitition on, the fuel pump seems to spring to life as
always, sounds exactly the same as always has.  The scary part is that now
when I engage the starter and turn over the engine, it sounds funny.. possibly
a grinding sound.. not a screaming scraping or crunching sound, but I note a
definite change in the sound and it... umm.. sounds kind of grindy..

Recent work:  bad leak from front oil seal which was under warranty.  Shop
says they opened front up and replaced front seal - even though it wasn't
really leaking.  They say leak was from head gasket and wanted $1,500 to fix.
Car has been running very strong - leak was steady, but the car has plenty of
Mobile One and the cardboard under car is protecting garage floor.

Fuel pump?  other?

floyd
NMSHOCLUB
http://nmshoclub.com/images/NMSHOside.gif