[Shotimes] enthusiasm...

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Mon, 04 Jul 2005 06:41:41 -0500

Jason,

The only people that I know that insist on removing the intake to
replace the rear plugs are mechanics that want the extra money, and then
they quite often just don't touch the intake or rear plugs if the front
three plugs get replaced and the car runs good!

really, taking the intake off is much easier on the SHO than say a small
block Chevy.  But there is no need to remove the intake to do the back
three plugs.  Yes, a u-joint for a socket will work, so will a "wobbly"
extension.  Get a set of long wobbly extensions at Sears and they will
solve a lot of problems.  Remove the vac canister on the back of the
intake, and unplug that one PCV hose on the back, move those two things
aside and it is easy.  Use a long set of pliers to loosen and pull the
boots (only on the big square part, never the wire!) if your hands are
too big to get purchase on them, and the rest is easy.  Be sure to try
to soak up any oil/water in there before removing the plugs.  Don't
worry if you don't get it all, any that is left will just burn off.  I
guess all of it could but it is good to get at least the bulk of it if
there is some there.

Make sure you get the gasket with the plug.  sometimes the gasket can
stick to the head, and you don't notice it.  Then you double gasket the
plug and it can work back out or leak.

Finally, when putting the plug wires back on, make sure the boot goes
all the way down (you did use ONLY Motorcraft plugs, because most others
are too long and will keep the boots from seating properly) and gives
you that second satisfying click as it seats all the way.  Left only
partially on,  you can get a misfire that is tough to detect but could
kill your cat converters.

Don Mallinson