[Shotimes] Looking to rejoin the ranks: Q on first gear power

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 12:03:55 -0400

You can't just look at the mileage. Age matters a LOT. Only 81K on a
13-year-old car is quite hard on it.

The example I have used is that '95 MTX that I owned & sold with about 90K
on it, then I bought a two-SHO-enthusiast-owner '94 MTX with 168K miles on
it. The '94 was well-maintained, and it was in TWICE the condition of that
'95, even though it had almost twice the mileage on it.

I would almost feel more comfortable with a 160K '92 than I would an 80K
'92, assuming that both have been reasonably maintained, as the cars that
are regularly driven seem to have fewer problems from my experience.

Now, if I wanted a low-mileage, absolutely original SHO to use as a "garage
queen", that's a different story. For a daily driver-type car, I would
rather have the regularly-exercised SHO.