[Shotimes] Car Buying ?s - Long

Zach Leahy Zach Leahy <leahyz@gmail.com>
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 07:11:02 -0500

Generally speaking the words SHO and RELIABLE shoud have the words ARE
NOT in between them.  There are exceptions I know....

Sure, SHO's were relaible when they were bbilt, minimum of 5 years
ago.  I am not a V8 sho expert, but I believe that they suffer similar
fates to ATX V6's, they eat transmissions about every 60-80k.  Just
keep that in mind.

Maintnance can vary anywhere from simple maintnance to working on the
thing every weekend.  In general though if you have one and play nice
they will not kill you in maintnance and fixes.  If you like to play
rough with the car, you may end up with some extra expenses.

So, on your question would I buy the $3K 170,000 mile SHO that's been
maintained well or the $6k 88,000 mile SHO that has not.

No contest, save $3,000 bucks.  That gives to $3k in repair costs til
they even are the same initial cost, and that will probably go a long
way.  The $6k one sounds liek it will have another 1-2K in repairs to
be done, so that makes it more expensive.  I ain't a mathmatician (but
i play an engineer at work) but I know that I would not hesitate to
get choice A.