[Shotimes] how do flashers work?

James F. Ryan III av8r567@optonline.net
Thu, 07 Jul 2005 15:34:38 -0400

> Then please help me understand.  LED's put out much more light with a
> lot less electricity.

Absolutely correct.  LED's are MUCH more efficient at converting heat into
light than their incandescent counterparts.  That's just technology, my
friend, not black magic.

> They also require a resister in-line to make them equal the resistance
> of the older incandescent bulb.

No.  They require a resistor to limit the current so they don't damage
themselves.

> If they have much higher
> resistance, then why do they light up brighter and quicker with less
> juice?

You struck upon the very definition of a SEMI-conductor - a device that can
act as both a conductor and an insulator (but not at the same time).
Normally it has a very HIGH resistance and acts like an INSULATOR.  However,
when you forward-bias the device (connect + battery to + lead of diode,
and - battery to - lead of diode) it will magically become a CONDUTOR at a
very low voltage of approx 0.7V.  Now the LED/diode has a very LOW
resistance and must be protected with a properly sized current-limiting
resistor.

I thought the higher the resistance, the higher the ohms of
> resistance?

Yup.