[Shotimes] OT: file recovery utilities

Ian Fisher dataflash@yahoo.com
Fri, 8 Jul 2005 20:00:17 -0700 (PDT)

I recently lost my newer 80g hard drive. Bad sectors.
It doesn't show up under "my computer" but it is
listed as a connected device under device manager. I
installed it on the primary chain and booted to the XP
CD to see what it said. Apparently its filled up
(virus?) which sounds odd.

I also scanned it using Seagate's online ActiveX
interface. It returned a S.M.A.R.T. error code so
something is probably physically wrong with the drive.
I'm considering getting a new hard drive (larger than
80g) to see if I can safely perform a data recovery to
it. Has anyone done this before? It's a lot more
difficult when the disk doesn't even show up under XP
or a command line prompt. FWIW, it is picked up by the
BIOS. Any recommended utilites I should look into?

If there's any SHO content, I have every digital
picture, website info, SHO pix and writeups, mp3's,
etc that I've collected for the last 8 years or so on
this disc. Unfortunately this drive WAS my backup
drive but stuff grew to the point that I couldn't
afford to have two copies of everything.

It's high time for a PC upgrade. PII450 is getting
long in the tooth and one of my PC100 DIMM's has
already gone bad..

Ian

Sell on Yahoo! Auctions  no fees. Bid on great items.
http://auctions.yahoo.com/