[Shotimes] Possible project car?

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Sat, 9 Jul 2005 12:12:09 -0400

(Subject line changed back to the original)

He is also talking about an ATX for his son. Now, "back in the day",
mid-high 15-second times on the ATX SHOs were pretty good. Today, virtually
every four-door econobox runs those kind of times. It's at the point where
any type of car that runs over a 16.0 quarter is usually tagged as
"underpowered" by the road testers.

Yeah, the car has a 140-ish top-end, but I don't think that's a problem.
More bad accidents are speeds that are too high for conditions, and that
will be at speeds 1/2 that or less.

I don't buy the airbag argument. I like Pat Bedard's take on it when he
discussed the theory that more safety devices could be making people more
careless on the roads. He basically asked the question: Would you drive more
safely with an airbag in the steering wheel, no steering wheel airbag, or a
sharpened bayonet in the middle of the steering wheel facing your chest?

Too many teenagers & young people (well, and older folks, also) are dying in
crashes when they are thrown from the vehicles due to not wearing seatbelts.
There was another fatality in the last few days in a van where the driver
was belted, but the passenger behind the driver was not. The driver was
supposedly killed by the passenger being thrown into the back of the drivers
seat.....and naturally that passenger lived.