[Shotimes] OT: file recovery utilities

Ian Fisher dataflash@yahoo.com
Sat, 9 Jul 2005 09:39:50 -0700 (PDT)

Ron nailed it. It started off as a backup drive but
grew so much that I turned it into an archive drive. I
was playing the odds; I figure that I upgrade every
few years and hopefully the drive would still be
around for   me to transfer the data off of it to a
newer drive. Unfortunately this one died prematurely.
It's older sister (20g) is still running fine. Both
are 7200 rpm Seagate Barracuda's. I've always had good
luck with them both personally and professionally so I
didn't expect this to happen so soon. Of course with
any mechanical part...

I'm thinking of getting an external USB HD as well as
a new internal IDE. The USB would be a backup and I
could use it between my desktop and my ancient
(hopefully I'll replace it soon) laptop.

Ian