[Shotimes] Tire Width

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:49:00 -0500

JB,

It depends on what your goal is.  If it is ultimate stick in corners or
a track car for turning corners, then the lower profile generally gives
a stiffer sidewall, but that depends on the make of tire.  So for this
exercise we will assume the same quality tire across the different sizes
you are considering.

A 6" rim for a 215 tire is fine, certainly a 6.5 would be a bit better,
but there is nothing wrong with the 6".  For a 225-55, it is starting to
get a bit narrow, but lots of people have used the 225-55 tire on the
slicers and had very good results.  The bead is a bit pulled in, but it
isn't dangerous or anything, just not perfect.  I ran 225-50-16 on
slicers for the last few years both on the street and track, and they
did just fine.

Rim width is important to on-the-edge handling but for everyday driving
and "sprited" driving, it is something that really isn't going to make
any difference to 98% of drivers out there.  If you are the type that is
a pro-quality racer, that attempts to get 100%  from every turn, then
get an optimim rim/tire combination.  If you do typical driving and even
an occasional track event, don't worry about a 6" rim.

Don Mallinson