[Shotimes] Radio question

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 21:28:12 -0400

FWIW to anyone, I am donating two Gen 2 headunits for the Red Cross auction.
One works just fine, the other is a "mechanics special" (and will be
identified as such) that doesn't power on.

Along with a couple of sets of the Gen 2 stereo button modules for the dash,
as well as some other miscellaneous parts.

Ron Porter (cleaning out the garage time!!!)

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Donald Mallinson
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 9:01 PM
To: ROBERT SCHIRMER
Cc: Shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Radio question

These radio's seem to die with predictable regularity.  The one in my
'89 had a problem about 5 years ago and I had it rebuilt through a Ford
dealer.  Just last week it started losing a channel (not the problem it
had the first time) and I will have to have it worked on again if I want
good tunes.  It goes bad after about 5 minutes of play time.

The radio in my '91 has a bad channel, but only on radio, not on tape.

When trying to fix the radio in my '89, I asked this group if anyone had
a radio I could buy because a lot of people take them out and put in
better aftermarket units.  I got about 7 radios sent to me for free, out
of all those NONE worked right in my car, I eventually gave them away to
other people hoping to do the same thing I did.

I happen to want to keep a stock looking system, so I keep trying to
have the radios fixed.  IF you aren't attached to the stock look, an
aftermarket unit (Crutchfield is a good place to start) is a good idea.
I did find in my one fling with an aftermarket unit that they don't work
well with the stock speakers.  For some reason factories always have
wierd higer OHM speakers and the aftermarket units need more than the
built-in amps they usually come with.  So plan on replacing the speakers
and putting in an amp or two or 10.  A true subwoofer is also a good idea.

But I am not up on the latest here, I am sure there are others that will
have more specific info.

Don Mallinson

Don Mallinson