[Shotimes] SHO is making grinding noises

Paul Nimz pnimz@v8sho.com
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:06:16 -0500

Mine sounded like a brake dragging.  But when you applied the brakes the nosie
didn't change.  If, when driving down the road, you slightly turned the wheel
the noise would lessen.

You can easily tell by jacking up the front end, grab the wheel at the 12 and
6 o'clock positions and try to wiggle the wheel.  If it moves it is a
bearing.

Paul

On 7/15/2005 7:12:13 AM, chris farmer (crixtopher@gmail.com) wrote:
> I am watching this thread closely b/c I have similar issues and
> haven't had much of a chance to look into it. I fear its a wheel
> bearing. its a rubbing noise that doesn't
> seem to have a regular
> pattern. At first I thought worn brake pads but they are not crucially
> worn thin. then I thought perhaps one of the metal tabs puncturing the
> bottom of the shock, but I moved the metal tab/washer thingy out of
> the way and the sound is still there. car is parked right now.
> sound comes and goes, happens sometimes while turning , sometimes when
> braking, sometimes when slowing down without braking, patterns vary
>
> I do seem to see metal shavings however, there is some rusty metal
> being shaved somewhere so perhaps mine is a diff issue. still, let us
> know what you find out Frank, please.
>

> On 7/15/05, Paul Nimz <pnimz@v8sho.com> wrote:
> >
> > My
> '97 did that and it turned out to be wheel bearings.  Does the sound
> > change slightly when you turn the wheel and are driving?
> >
> > Paul
> >
> >  On 7/15/2005 1:13:49 AM, fwhittle@mindspring.com wrote:
> > > It sounds for all the world like worn brake pads grinding on the
rotors,