[Shotimes] Brake noise fixed (sort of)

fwhittle@mindspring.com fwhittle@mindspring.com
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 20:59:33 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Woo Hoo!  The grinding is gone.  The dust shields were rubbing on the discs, like most people had said.  There should be a separate instruction to push the bottom of the dust shield toward the center of the car before installing the rotors.  So everyone else who said they have the same grinding noise, go check the dust shields.

I do, however, still have the other noise that prompted me to do the upgrade in the first place (don't get me wrong, the brakes needed to be done anyway).  It may be coming from the rear, it's hard to tell.  It may be warped rotors.  When the car is cold, it pretty much only makes the noise at low speeds when going straight.  After applying the brakes, the noise is more pronounced until I get going about 25+ mph.  If I turn the wheel, the noise goes away.  After driving for a while, the noise is very pronounced and pretty much constant.  I can make it go away by pressing lightly on the brake pedal.  Has anyone in a non-rust area had the problem with the rear brake hoses getting constricted by rust?  Does this sound like my problem?

On another note, I bought Speedbleeders for the front calipers.  They don't screw in very far, which caused fluid to leak through the threads when bleeding.  I got the HELP! brand, #12701, which I was told are simply repackaged Speedbleeder brand.  Anyone else have the same experience with these?  I was afraid to tighten them too much, and I actually had that sickening feeling that I had tightened one of them a bit too much.  I think I'll be putting the stock bleeders back in.

Thanks to everyone who provided assistance with this.

Frank Whittle
'95 ATX