[Shotimes] The infamous groan...

Zach Leahy Zach Leahy <leahyz@gmail.com>
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:39:37 -0500

VO is a smart cookie.  Except when it's reallyu hot at the track, then
we forget stuff...  A Stethescope is good, but for us cheap folks you
can use a long screwdriver and just put your ear against it (use the
pointy end on the motor, I'm not responsible for damage to your head)

Have you actually checked the belts?  it is possible they are loose.
Here's a tension test I use.  take the belt at the longest point
between pullies, in the SHO i use between the WP and PS on the 4 rib,
and between the AC and Alt (although not the longest, but easier to
reach) on the 6 rib.  now, try to twist the belt.  If you can turn it
90 degrees it is not too tight, but if you can turn it 180 degrees it
is too loose.  I know it's a bit different for everyone becasue some
of us are built liek trucks as others are a bit more dainty, but it's
a pretty quick and simple tensioning technique.

It sounds to me like something with the power steering.  maybe the
belt was slipping to begin with, and maybe now the pump is going.
Check the fluid level, if it is low it wil groan.  Flush the fluid
(it's pretty easy, let me know if you need details) and see if that
helps.  The power steering can be run on ATX fluid, in fact that is
what I use since it's cheap.

Start the car and have a freind turn the wheels back and forth, see if
you can see anything wrong with the pump/steering.