[Shotimes] OT: Lincoln LS Manual Tranny Swap

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 06:18:51 -0500

Wow,  A perfect example of what happens when you start with a really
good car, and leave it alone for many years.  Lincoln got rave reviews
for the LS.  super stiff body, good room, RWD ahead of the masses and
decent power.   But they let the body, that was really good looking at
the time get dated.  I saw one yesterday and was thinking that my GenI
Taurus has aged better than that (couldn't be any bias there could
there?)  :)

But other than putting a little more power in the engine, they didn't
change much that I can see, and when is the last time  you saw a test of
one...that means they didn't change enough to make the magazines spend
even one page on it.

The imports are winning by using the American formula from the 50's and
60's.  Keep the car fresh, even if you don't update the mechanicals all
that much, constant improvement is the key.  I still see Ford and GM
trying to get too many years from the exact same car.  Oh, well, I guess
you can give Ford cudos for going from yellow turn signals to red every
three years, THAT will sure make the imports hurt!  :)

Don Mallinson