[Shotimes] SHO vs. Merkur Scorpio

kerbyh@netzero.net kerbyh@netzero.net
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:31:43 GMT

The Merkur Scorpio was a car in dire need of an engine.  The 2.8 V-6 just didn't cut it the US.  Well, it also needed a dealer body that didn't know how to sell a car without a carriage roof on it...

Kerby

-- "Ron Porter" <ronporter@prodigy.net> wrote:
One of my Ford buddies had an '88-'89 (I forget the year) Scorpio 4-door as
his company car, and loved it. He then got two SHOs in a row (a '90 and a
mocha '91) as company cars. He liked the power of the SHOs, but the Scorpio
was his favorite for the other amenities. FWIW, I remember the
tilt-adjustable rear seats, which were very nice!

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of David Rosicke
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 1:04 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] SHO vs. Merkur Scorpio

Perfect timing!  This just in from the Hillman list.

Dave R.

******************
Subject: [HillmanCars] Re: Auto Wish List

Really difficult question for me now that I am...
errr... older!

As a young man I wanted an AC Cobra, a Packard Clipper
(I had a Dinky of it and in UK in 1955 it was really
exotic!), likewise a Studebaker Hawk!

However, my first 111c Minx Convertible (bought for
99GBP in North London - P/X'ed my fathers' Rover 75!)
was the most useable car and it looked as good in 1967
as it does today.

Later on in life, my favourite modern car was a (3
month old) 24v Ford Granada Scorpio (breathed on by
Cosworth). Lord, that thing could shift. I used to
drive from Aylesbury to Luxembourg and back, via
Brussels. At first I had a Rover 820e and Merc and
BMWs would come up behind me at 100MPH and flash their
lights for me to shift over... hence the Granada...
and it had no bells and whistles on it apart from the
tiny '24v' on the bootlid.

As the 24v wasn't sold in europe, but the Granada was,
I had the same Merc/BMW's up my arse... but things
turned out really differently as the Grannie had a top
speed of 155+...

I sold it after 6 years when it had 195000 on it.
Lovely fond memories of that car..

Today, I'd love a pristine 1954 Chevrolet 3100. (1/2
ton Ute). But honestly, for pootling round town - the
Minx still has it all!

Alan P

Message: 6