[Shotimes] GEN II AC ... Can it Handle the Heat?

Bruce Malachuk bmalach1@nycap.rr.com
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:26:15 -0400

I re-did a protion of my AC last fall along with my 3.2 swap in my Opal
Frost. I had no useable AC before that cause of a leaky line, but I replaced
my accumulator, cleaned out and straightened the fins on my condensor, added
2oz of compressor oil, changed every o-ring, used nylog blue on every
o-ring.

I after doing massive amounts of vacuuming it out and filling it a little
then vacuuming it back out then charging, I've gotten some great results.
When it's 80F outside or so and I am sitting dead still at idle, I'll have
38F air coming out of the center vent on MAX A/C, now moving along on the
highway that is the same long as I'm not following to close to anyone that
they cut off my wind. I can be 3 cars away and I'll notice a slow increase
of water temp.

Today here in albany it was pretty hot, 90F in the shade, about 98F or so on
the road with the radiant heat coming up from the street, bout 70% humidity
I'd like to guess. With the car in the full sun, no tint, and MAX A/C on
best it was doing was 45F out of the center vent, regardless if I was moving
or sitting still. Actually sitting still for more than 1-2 minutes would
lead to temps being reported by the outside temp sender of 100-105F but I
figure that's just from heat blowing out from other cars and not having a
lot of airflow. Even then the center vent temp never broke past 50F at idle,
but my water temp was up at the top of the O in NORMAL the whole time.

Hopefully that will give you a little perspective on the AC system and
temps.

I have heard that there are newer better designed condensors and evaporators
that will give a system better performance with less work, perhaps a better
heat exchanging system optomized for R-134a?

Bruce J Malachuk

*	94 Opal Frost MTX
*	93 Emerald Green MTX - SOLD
*	93 Black ATX - New Parts CAR
*	95 Silver Frost ATX SE - SLO -Buyer waiting
*	96 TR - Cam Failed parts car :-(