[Shotimes] GEN II AC ... Can it Handle the Heat?

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 13:51:04 -0400

Gen 1-2 folks may want to consider the serious problem that plagues Gen 3
owners (and killed Larry Eck's engine).

He had a serious buildup of cottonwood fuzzballs that built up on the
radiator, between the radiator and the condenser. Might just want to check
to make sure that the area is clean, and not obstructing airflow.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Zach Leahy
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 7:47 AM
To: Bruce Malachuk
Cc: Peter Maggiacomo; shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] GEN II AC ... Can it Handle the Heat?

I think the condensors are one of the pitfalls of a car this old, at
least is is on my 93.  The problem is that the things get packed full
of bugs, debis and then the fins get bent and mashed and mangled.  I
spen a couple hours cleaning mine, but I am still under the impression
that it is jammed full of gook.  I think I was able to get the stuff
off the surface, but there is probably a lot crammed so far deep into
the fins I can't comb it out.

Even with a bigger radiator, I tend to run a bit hotter that other
SHOs around (like at the convention I was seeing water temps 10-20
degrees warmer than others).  It did ok, and stayed on the autometer
gauge, but probably got into the 235-240 degree range coming off the
track.  Some of the laps though when caught behing traffic I would
turn the A/C on for a break for me!  Big help in the late afternoon.

So I think, at least for me, is I have a condensor that is not letting
much air pass through, not cooling the condensor well, and not letting
enough air through to the radiator.

On 7/27/05, Bruce Malachuk <bmalach1@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> I re-did a protion of my AC last fall along with my 3.2 swap in my Opal
> Frost. I had no useable AC before that cause of a leaky line, but I
replaced
> my accumulator, cleaned out and straightened the fins on my condensor,
added
> 2oz of compressor oil, changed every o-ring, used nylog blue on every
> o-ring.
>
> I after doing massive amounts of vacuuming it out and filling it a little
> then vacuuming it back out then charging, I've gotten some great results.
> When it's 80F outside or so and I am sitting dead still at idle, I'll have
> 38F air coming out of the center vent on MAX A/C, now moving along on the
> highway that is the same long as I'm not following to close to anyone that
> they cut off my wind. I can be 3 cars away and I'll notice a slow increase
> of water temp.
>
> Today here in albany it was pretty hot, 90F in the shade, about 98F or so
on
> the road with the radiant heat coming up from the street, bout 70%
humidity
> I'd like to guess. With the car in the full sun, no tint, and MAX A/C on
> best it was doing was 45F out of the center vent, regardless if I was
moving
> or sitting still. Actually sitting still for more than 1-2 minutes would
> lead to temps being reported by the outside temp sender of 100-105F but I
> figure that's just from heat blowing out from other cars and not having a
> lot of airflow. Even then the center vent temp never broke past 50F at
idle,
> but my water temp was up at the top of the O in NORMAL the whole time.
>
> Hopefully that will give you a little perspective on the AC system and
> temps.
>
> I have heard that there are newer better designed condensors and
evaporators
> that will give a system better performance with less work, perhaps a
better
> heat exchanging system optomized for R-134a?
>

> Bruce J Malachuk
>
> *       94 Opal Frost MTX
> *       93 Emerald Green MTX - SOLD
> *       93 Black ATX - New Parts CAR
> *       95 Silver Frost ATX SE - SLO -Buyer waiting
> *       96 TR - Cam Failed parts car :-(

If