[Shotimes] ATX Questions (Time for my 4th tranny?)

Kevin & Cheryl Airth clubairth@peoplepc.com
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:18:31 -0500

Jack:
 I have changed 2 and it's a lot of work! I made my own engine support for
about $35 in metal. I have pictures and dimensions if your interested. That
really is the only special tool. Just take your time. Be sure and have a
shop manual. Take digital pictures because it's hard to remember where
everything goes! I am spoiled because with 2 1993 ATX SHO's I can always
make sure it is in the correct place, just look at the other car!
 You will need 2 people when dropping and installing the tranny. Just the
part where you remove the bell housing bolts and stabbing the unit back in.
The tranny is very awkward because it's so unbalanced. I just used a regular
floor jack and if you had the proper tranny jack you could strap it down so
nothing would fall off. Otherwise I did everything by myself. Be sure and
get the car high enough in the air so you can get the tranny out from
underneath the car after it's free from everything. I had to pull the tranny
off and on the jack under the motor because when the tranny is on the jack
it was too tall to come out. The car needs to be pretty high up in the air.
I remove the hood struts and tied the hood straight up for better access and
light.
 The shifts are as the should have been from Ford! You will now have a much
more fun ride!
Remember my motto: I take it to 7K everyday!! The SHO was meant to be run
hard, so get on it!
.
.
Replace the VSS and don't forget to check that it has a speedo gear attached
to it BEFORE installing it in the tranny case! I had to remove and reinstall
the VSS on both of my tranny changes and it is NOT fun!!
.
.