[Shotimes] OT: Cadillac CTS

Ian Fisher dataflash@yahoo.com
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:43:32 -0700 (PDT)

I attended a Car & Driver/Road & Track sponsored
driving event yesterday afternoon in Philadelphia. Two
tests courses were set up in a large parking lot. The
first course that I participated in pitted the new
Cadillac STS vs. the 2005 BMW 530i. Hands down, the
BMW won for better handling, ergonomics and power. The
seats were supportive and the interior was able to
comfortably hold my large 6'5" frame. The STS was the
styling winner but it was too cramped and heavy for my
tastes.

I thought that the next course with the Lexus ES300 vs
the Cadillac CTS was going to be a joke. I've never
really liked the ES300 (it reminds me of the upscale
Camry that it is) and I decided yesterday that I
preferred the styling of the STS over the CTS. The
ES300 was boring to drive. It plowed through the
course with the inside front tire lighting up on every
hard corner.

Next up, CTS. Bill Murray participated in this event
last weekend and warned me that the CTS had some power
and nice balance. Even still, I had low expectations
and felt that the BMW was going to be the car that won
my heart for the day. Wow, I was wrong. That new 3.6L
DOHC VVT motor that felt like a dog in the near 4000
lb STS made the CTS scream. The CTS went wherever I
pointed it. The traction system even lets the back
step out a bit before it jumps in and straightens
everything out. The car was simply a blast to drive
and very easy to drive quickly through the course. I
didn't have much of a chance to play with the AC or
stereo, etc but as far as ergonomics, everything
seemed to be in the right place. The seats were
comfortable and there was plenty of backseat room. I
don't really dig the look of the CTS with those 16
cartoon wheels but with a set of aggressive looking
17's or 18's (such as the ones on the CTS-V,) I'd
seriously consider a 3.6L CTS with a manual trans. I
think that wheels can make or break a car. I feel the
CTS was far better than the 530i and for about $15k
less, it was the obvious choice. I still want an EVO
but if I needed a sensible daily driver...

Now if I only I was in the market to buy...

PS. I took some cool pix of 530i's and STS's tearing
up the corners. I'll try to get them online soon.

Ian

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs