[Shotimes] Vibration or picky...replaced bearings...screwed...more screwed?

David Rosicke d.rosicke@snet.net
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 13:15:10 -0700 (PDT)

It seems unlikely that two bearings went bad at the same time unless the entire batch was bad.  Ask to see what tools he is going to use and get back to us!

Dave R.

cmichaelo@optonline.net wrote:
Thanks all!

This will be good background info for when I take the knuckles back to the shop next week.

My theory about what happened is this:

The guy used a flat drift. Since the sleeved part protrudes out about ~1/4mm, the sleeve was consequently depressed the same amount until the drift came in touch with the outer part of the bearing, at which point the damage had already been done to the sleeve.

I had two bearings replaced. One bearing is totally gone in that I can move the sleeve back and forth in the axle direction by about 1/4mm. The sleeve in the other bearing can't be moved nearly as much, though it still visibly wiggles. What this means, IMO, is that the second bearing just went into the knuckle easier than the first bearing. And the easier the bearing slips into the knuckle, the less damage is done to the sleeved part (inner race) when using a flat punch.

Just my theory.

The other theory, aside for what Leigh mentioned about heat damage, is that the bearings were bad from factory. But I just can't imagine that. Can you???

Michael
94MTX,green,BOS+,Koni/Intrax,Baer,Corbeau
SHO items for sale: http://hometown.aol.com/cmichaelo/for_sale.html