[Shotimes] Fire Starter

Chris Locker blindguy10@cox.net
Fri, 17 Jun 2005 08:45:46 -0500

That was an interesting article.  I remember one or two people here on
SHOtimes that mentioned that switch shorting out and glowing red hot.

I experienced a different failure with that same switch.  Years back when I
had my '93 atx SHO, we had pulled into a gas station near my apartment to
fill up.  The brakes felt normal on the way to the gas station.  However,
when we were getting ready to leave, started up the engine, pushed on the
brake pedal to shift into drive and the brake pedal went right to the floor.
The seal in the switch had failed and subsequent presses of the brake pedal
was pushing brake fluid out of the master cylinder through the switch.  The
bottom of the switch and the wire loom that connects to it were covered in
brake fluid.  Luckily, being only a few blocks from home, we were able to
limp the SHO home using the parking brake.  Man, we were so fortunate that
the switch decided to fail when the SHO was stopped!

Chris Locker
'98 SHO