[Shotimes] Broke the Bolt to the Rear Swaybar to frame bushing mount...any ideas?

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:23:05 -0400

See my PictureTrail link in another post. Way easier to do it this way!!!

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Zach Leahy
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 8:13 AM
To: Frank SHOrage Costa
Cc: 1 SHOTIMES
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Broke the Bolt to the Rear Swaybar to frame bushing
mount...any ideas?

I have done it also, drilling onto the side of the frame that is.

I tried tacking mine down to the frame but could not get a good stick,
probably more my poor welding skills than anything.

What I did, and it's over-complicated, but works, is this.

I made a U shaped bracket with a tab on either leg.  Like this in ascii:
       __________________
       |                              |
       |                              |
____|                              |_____

Drilled a hole in either tab for a bolt.  This bracket fits around the
frame rail and is about 1/2 the height of the rail, it's not an exact
science, and it's been a long time since i made mine.

Next are 2 L shaped brackets that have a hole in etither leg, one for
a large bolt through the frame, and one through for the bolt to the
Omega bracket.  I think I used a 1/2" bolt through the frame.  Not
when you get all ot the bits made (I bent mine all out of 1/4 flat
stock using a torch to heat and bend) you need to drill a hole across
the frame member, and bolt it all up.  Drill it forward of the tab on
the swaybar mount, so the wholt omega bracket is on about a 30degree
or so lean angle.  That will keep anything from slipping apart
unwanted as it will draw it down and squeeze it up a bit.  thee should
be a small gap between the L's and the omega, with the two bolts (one
on either side) connecting them.  Put it all together loose, and use
some longer bolts, and then when you have it all thee, crank those
down and it will tighten up the swaybar.

Clear as mud right?

Here's my best shot at ascii.
       __________________
       |                              |

    X  |                              |   X
     H |                             |H

right, the X's are the two screws connecting the omega to the L's, and
the H's represent the thru bolt through the frame rail.

Um, not a pretty description, let me know if I need to make a better
picture.