[Shotimes] Update: Rookie Timing Belt Question

Dave Ulring dulring@yahoo.com
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 17:45:12 -0800 (PST)

Zach,

You guessed it right, I think.  I double checked the
connections and they all looked good.  I then did some
more reading on the site and came to the conclusion
that I must have reattached the small computer power
wire to the negative terminal instead of the positive.
 I moved the wire to the positive terminal and just
about fried the car.  Huge spark and little wire
started smoking before I could get it off.  Ok, so a
couple of ice cubes later and some more reading ( I
did not read far enough in that particular article the
said there were two different configurations, + and -
little wires) I reattached the little wire to the
negative post and wanted to see if the CE light came
on while cranking.  Turned the key and vrooooom.  We
have ignition.  Not sure if the initial battery
connections were to blame, but I am pretty sure they
were all tight.  If anything, I still need to tighten
the connections up now since I did not spend much time
on them.  Any ideas on what caused this?

Now on to the subframe bushings and fuel pump.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Dave
93 MTX