[Shotimes] Car camera mount for convention

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Thu, 03 Mar 2005 10:11:15 -0600

Just remember, that for track use, a camera mount needs to
be solidly mounted, not just on with suction cups.  Suction
cups come loose, and usually at the wrong time.  Last thing
we need is a camera bouncing around the interior or getting
under the brake pedal as the car is approaching turn one at
100+ mph.

So make sure your mount is BOLTED on and can't come off.  We
might accept a mount that is clearly secure using duct tape
for instance.  There are some mounts that use the headrest
parts to meet this rule, but that means you can't have a
passenger unless you use a REAR headrest.  The camera can't
block any forward or side/rear vision, or not much at all,
so keep it out of the main viewing area.

BEfore you spend a lot of money on camera mounts, be sure it
will meet the above rules, or check with me.  Mark Nunnally
has a lot of experience with this kind of thing.  In his
case, he mounts a tiny camera that weighs just a few ounces.
  That is a lot different from mounting a camcorder that
might weight about a pound or more.

Not trying to be a party pooper here, just trying to make
sure ALL of those on track have the best chance of a totally
safe day.

Don Mallinson