[Shotimes] OT: 2005 F1 Season

Ron Fleshman insman1@charter.net
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 23:56:29 -0500

>>They are moving farther & farther away from being the premier technology
race series. It seems that they are becoming an open-wheel NASCAR-type
series, with none of the fun (passing, trading paint,
etc) of a real NASCAR race.<<

And, to tell you the truth, NASCAR is moving toward being an F1 series with
fenders.  Common templates, the proposed common engine and the "no touch"
rules (you can be parked for "rough driving") is the brainchild of Brian
France, son of Bill France, Jr. and grandson of "Big Bill" France, the
sanctioning body's founder.  He is Satan to most everyone in the Southeast
for moving races away from competitive tracks like Rockingham and Darlington
in favor of California (Fontana) and Phoenix.

Now, the cars don't even resemble their showroom counterparts (look at the
nose on the Monte Carlo--not even close, the same with the Taurus and
Dodge)and if they take away the manufacturer-specific engines, the series
loses its soul.  Just like advertising for a Hall of Fame location to the
highest bidder.  Hell, that could be New York City and if so, how many stock
car fans could get there?  More than you think but less than could if it
were located in Charlotte.

Having been a fan since my Dad first took me to Martinsville in 1962, it all
makes me sick.  What also makes me sick is watching these new common
templates and no touch rules make the races a follow the leader race.  The
last race at Rockingham was a knock down drag out race that Matt Kenseth won
by a whisker over Kasey Kahne.  The next to last race at Darlington was an
all out body slam race to the checkers by Kurt Busch and Ricky Craven.  What
is going to replace those two tracks?  Follow the leader freight train races
that no one attends.
\
I may start watching F1.

Ron