[Shotimes] Driving can be fun without tearing up tires.....was; Re: clutch

George Fourchy krazgeo@comcast.net
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:36:01 -0800

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:24:06 -0600, Rick Glass wrote:

>apparently, must take it pretty easy on the exit ramps too.....

As a matter of fact, no.  Those are one of the places I can still have fun on a
daily basis anymore.  There's a 300 degree/75 foot radius ramp I use to get onto
I-880 in Oakland from the main drag where my work is (Hegenberger Rd.), and I always
run away from the crowd that is rushing to get into the entry lane for it.  It's so
funny.....there are always a couple of low riders (REAL low riders) and Ricers
racing off the light that is just prior to it.  If I really want to make a point, I
take it at about 45 mph.  All those wimpy Hondas and Acuras just fade into the
night!!  They can't believe an old Taurus can out-run them on it, and then after
that it suddenly disappears across 5 lanes of traffic, into the fast lane (trucks
permitting).

My main idea of enjoyment is cruising at the speed I know I can get away with,
(about 72-74 mph...a little tougher with no speedo...tach reading is between 2850
and 2900) and getting through a huge wad of traffic, using all lanes, without
attracting attention or enraging the LLBs, and keeping the CHP looking the other
way.  Then I go a mile or two, and run into the next wad.  It's all smooth lane
changing, planning ahead, and not being in a hurry.  I get lots of practice...52
miles one way, 5 days a week, for the last 14 years.  Average mpg for the last
several years has been between 22 and 23 mpg, and there are several significant
hills.  That's what I use at tank filling time to figure accrued mileage, now that
the speedo is gone.   And I only use Lowrider for commutes now, except for an
occasional trip to Sacramento....all on I-80, to keep the figuring as accurate as I
can.

All commutes are rush hour free (48-50 minutes), except the 6 pm Saturday run to
home...its a little tough sometimes--late departures for Tahoe and the Sierras.  I
just go with the flow when that one's bad, and listen to my music.

Makes it all worthwhile!!  ;-)    At retirement, I'll miss the commute, but not the
work!!

I have an article I have written about how I safely and stealthly deal with wads of
slow traffic on an interstate highway.....I'll send it to Don for publication one of
these days.  I have another one about "what if?" ...if there was more room, more
money, and more driving skill....how about specific 80, 100, and 120 mph cruising
lanes adjacent to urban freeways, stretching for hundreds of miles?   Could you all
deal with THAT!!??

George