[Shotimes] Now I'm really screwed....speeding

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 18:02:19 -0500

I don't agree
At 1000", the laser beam is very wide. If there were any cars in the
vicinity, it would pick up the quickest vehicle.

I say this knowing that he is probably guilty, but these are the facts that
you can use in court.

A good traffic lawyer is still the best bet for him at this point. $500 for
a lawyer s money well-spent to keep the points off the record.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of Barry Hayes
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 5:41 PM
To: cmichaelo@optonline.net
Cc: shotimes
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Now I'm really screwed....speeding

Sadly I think you are right, you probably are screwed. Laser is accepted
as accurate even more than radar. This is because of the focused quality
of the beam. Police are trained to sight in on the front plate or the
headlights because they give the best return reflection. Beam spread is
marginal so they are good out to at least a thousand feet.  If you ever
see one of the guns they have an actual sight on them so they can single
out one specific target. Basically you have been sniped.
As far as court, that 100+ speed is going to get the judge' attention
big time. Their attitude is probably going to be that nobody should be
going that fast, and getting it down to 90 or so is probably not going
to change that attitude. They just don't like people going that fast on
the public road.  The old speed demon image is still in full force.
A no show by the cop should get a dismissal but the judge may give him
time to get there. Every judge has their own attitude about this. Unless
you can find some technicality for dismissal (unlikely) you are going to
pay a big fine and get points.  Check out your options but bring your
checkbook. Also, wear a suit & tie, shave etc. and MAKE NICE to
everybody. Appearance equals credibility.  ( It never ceases to amaze me
how many people go to court looking like dirt bags and expect to be
perceived as credible when facing suited lawyers and uniformed cops.)

good luck

--
"It's all in the mind ya know"- George Harrison