[Shotimes] 3.2 Conversion worth it?

Justin Schick jschick@aafp.org
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:27:54 -0600

Two words: compression test.

While I agree the Yamahammer is an excellently designed engine, there
are just way too many variables to make blanket statements about how
well they hold up to high mileage. The only way to know if ANY engine
could use a rebuild or not is to be sure the combustion chambers hold
enough pressure.

Justin
parted 92 - need something?

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:44:13 -0500, Leigh Smith wrote:

>Even the 3.2 probably has 90k+ miles by now.

That's brand new in Yamaha terms.  My 'new' black car's block has 80k
or so.  The
cylinder walls don't look a bit different, hone wise, than a spanking
new block.
Other than replacing the rod bearings, Mark said it couldn't be rebuilt
by anyone
into anything any better than it already was.

George