[Shotimes] Sparkplugs covered in oil?

Zach Leahy Zach Leahy <leahyz@gmail.com>
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:45:44 -0500

Plug well seals.  two ways to remedy this Basically both the same.

1 replace the plug well seals.  Comes in a kit with the valve cover
gaskets, can be gotten from AZ.  Not to expensive looks like 85.99 on
their website.  PN VS50378R.  Double check previous posts as I just
looked this up quick on the AZ site

2. reuse the old seals and add rtv.  Not the best fix, but can be
quite adequate.  I usually take this route and save the cost of the
seals.  I have resealed mine with rtv not twice (once at a rebuild)
and have had good luck no looking at 212k on the original seals.

Both have about the same process.   Remove intake manifold first.
remove allen head screws from valve covers.  Reseal, reassemble.
Tighten the allen head screws only until they stop as the are designed
to bottom out and not cruch the seals.  The rear head can be a pain
with the heater hoses and electrical bits getting in the way.  A
friend to help you is best.

Using RTV on the gaskets simply adds a bit of work.  yoiu would need
to clean up the mating surfaces, and clea the gaskets.  Try and get
all the oil off of both.  use a mild solvent like isopropyl alcohol to
wipe it all down and then get a tube of RTV and go at it.  get all the
corners especially on the valve cover gasket as this area is prone to
leak.  Make sure you get the plug well seals too.

So my advice, spend 5 bucks instead of  85 and maybe have to do it
again in a couple years.  not too bad really.  Spend the 80.00 on a
gift for your friend... and for the guys on the list giving you
advice.  :)