[Shotimes] Now I'm really screwed....speeding

Barry Hayes Barry@kingcon.com
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:08:59 -0500

Laser has a MUCH smaller beam spread than radar. At the distance they
usually target it is less than a car width. Also, the guns have actual
rifle type sights on them to allow for aiming. As I said they a re
trained to use the license plat or the headlights as aim points. The
stealthiest cars are those without front plates, have retractable
headlights, and are a dark color.  A silver VW bug would be seen much
further away than a dark Ford Probe with no plate. Since laser is a
light based sensor as opposed to microwave radar, the dark paint will
absorb the beam and cut down the return range. Jammers work by emitting
infrared light on the same frequency as the laser gun to confuse the
return signal, but the emitters must be mounted near the car's usual aim
points. Another trick is to run with highbeams on, although this helps
only slightly. Notice that laser is never used at night. Every gun I
have seen has been handheld. The NH State police use them quite
effectively this way, and now Vermont is getting them. Detectors are
really only useful to let you know you have been hit. Jammers do work,
but at least one gun gives a code letting the operator know he has been
jammed. However since laser is regulated not by the FCC but by the FDA
(I think, but definitely not the FCC) there is no law against jamming it
(yet).
Check this link  http://www.speedlabs.com/  for good information on
detectors and jammers as well as the basics of laser and how it is used.

Good luck. As they say, sometimes you're the windshield, sometime you're
the bug.

Barry Hayes

--
"It's all in the mind ya know"- George Harrison