[Shotimes] oil sender leak

Robert Bruce rbruce@bellatlantic.net
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:38:33 -0500

I've had my 92 up on jack stands for the past few days.  Been prepping to
paint the new rollbar.  This morning I went to the garage & found a new
puddle of oil on the floor.  The engine oil pressure sender has sprung a
leak and the engine hasn't been running in over a week!  I removed the
sender and rigged up a little test stand to my air compressor.  Used a
pressure regulator, an air gauge and a few misc fittings.  Found out that
the sender leaks like crazy at the wire terminal stud, but only at very low
pressure.  From 0 to 3 psi or so it leaks real bad.  At around 3 psi the
leak lessens.  As the pressure increases the leak lessens.  By 15 psi or so
there is no leak at all.  Ran it all the way up to 75 psi and still no leak.
Fortunately I had a spare (used) sender to install.