[Shotimes] Wobbly Harmonic Balancer

Carl Prochilo GR8SHO@adelphia.net
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:37:17 -0500

Wow, Check this out.

http://tinyurl.com/6asvg

The last picture is the best.  Of the choices it could have been, this is by far the best!!!

So George wins.  I knew something was up when I felt metal shavings in my hand.

On the topic of crank cancer, I can see better from my example and the service manual how it would be very difficult to see (versus hear) at least initially.  A worn Woodruff key and crank slot would create a problem in the same plane as the pulley.  It's major consequence is that timing integrity is lost and the engine won't work right.  The play in the locking mechanism should be heard and the power loss more detectable as the slop increases due to wear.  I'll know better once I get the part off, but I suspect the crankshaft timing gear is somewhat independent of the harmonic damper.

====
Cheers,
Carl Prochilo
1992 Ultra Red Crimson