[Shotimes] Vibration or picky...again

cmichaelo@optonline.net cmichaelo@optonline.net
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:34:08 -0500

I have not completed all measurements of runout on rim, hub, and rotor.  Lateral and radial.  Everything is within spec. No wobbling when spinning the front tires in the air.

The tires are new (Pilot Sport 235/40-18). I have solid subframe bushings. And TPR everywhere. New Koni/Intrax. New strut bearings. Strut tower braces. Relatively new inner and outer tie rods and relatively new LCAs.

However, on the road, I CONTINUE to have a vibration at around 65-70mph, predominantly in the steering wheel.

...and THE VIBRATION IS NOT ALWAYS THERE????

It's driving me nuts.

Could it be something that is not related to the rotating stuff, but rather could it be
- the wheel bearing, though the push-and-pull-on-the-top-and-bottom-of-the-wheel wriggle test passes with flying colors.
- LCA, but wouldn't that show up in the wriggle test?
- steering rack?

I suppose the LCA could be sort of loose, e.g., maybe it has come loose at the subframe, but not enough that I can move it, but enough that it may show up on the road where the weight of the car makes it move in and out?

Has any of you had any trouble with vibration due to the steering rack?

The rack is 11y old now, and has 130k on it.

Also, as a reminder, I did have a bent rim about 50k ago.  It not only bent the rim it also warped it laterally and even destroyed the strut mount. The hub, as mentioned above, seems to have survived though. The studs are fine too.

Any other advice?

Michael
94MTX,green,BOS+,Koni/Intrax,Baer,Corbeau
SHO items for sale: http://hometown.aol.com/cmichaelo/for_sale.html