[Shotimes] Re: Alignment

Alan Fanning Awfanning@earthlink.net
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:27:19 -0800

Using the alignment specs on the SHOtimes FAQ (including Gary M's comments),
I come up with the recommended specs in the left hand column below. In the
right hand column are Doug Lewis's recommended specs from the Fall 2000 SHO
Registry.

For front alignment, Doug recommends a somewhat tighter spec on camber,
slightly unequal caster (0.5 deg more on the right side) and a bit more
toe-in. Nothing dramatically different.

However, for rear alignment, Doug recommends A LOT more camber, and quite a
bit of toe-OUT, neither of which I can follow the justification for.

For my wife's "grocery getter" '95 ATX SHO, I am planning to request the use
of the numbers in the left hand column. Are there any contrary opinions out
there?  Going in for alignment Monday morning.

 Thanks,

       Alan
                    SHOtimes             Doug L
                    L      R            L      R
 Front
  Camber (deg)    -0.5 to -1.0*      -0.8 to -0.9
  Caster (deg)       max*             +4     +4.5
  Toe-In (inch)   -0.1 to 0 total*   -0.12 total*
 Rear
  Camber (deg)    -0 to -0.25        -1.5    -1.5
  Toe-In (inch)   -0 to 0.06 total*  +0.14"  +0.14"

        * balanced side-to-side