[Shotimes] Wanted Opal Frost Passengerside fender

Zach Leahy Zach Leahy <leahyz@gmail.com>
Wed, 4 May 2005 09:18:33 -0500

Then again a repaint may not match either.....  The only really good
way to get everything to match again is to repaint the whole car.  You
can also blend the clor by painting the doors lightly and kinda
letting both shades come through.  It's standard practice anymore to
blen on repaints.

I have found, to my outrageous benefit, that the duplicolor spraycan
for deep jewel green met. is just the right shade for my car.
Convenient too!  Now, my green car is not exaclty a show piece, but, I
think you would be hard pressed to tell I spray canned entire pieces,
blended some etc.  The one piece I tried to do the right way and had
the color matched, sanded, primed, blocked....  Turned out with big
streaks in it (Metallic seperated in the paint)  looks bad.  And it's
the hood no less!

If your just gonna drive the thing, you're on the right track.  get
one that's the right color and slap it on.  Or, take a stab at
painting it.  If you have a show car, which about none of us do,
except maybe Dave and Kurt Metros with their cleaning fascination
<cheap shot>, you can probably make an attempt at painting it cheaper
than a body shop.

Mind you even with the right equipment it is not cheap, and some
colors are outrageously expensive.  Mostly on new cars though.  I
recently was picking out a blue for my motorcycle and looked at about
10 different shades.  I was looking at 2004 model colors.  bad idea as
each was about 65 bucks a PINT!  I looked at 1999 colors and picked a
couple.  First one was $17 for a pint.  I have no idea why certain
shades of color are outrageous.  Sure, pearl is more expensive than
metallic than flat color, but WOW!  Not to mention buying reducer,
primer, clearcoat, hardener, and misc supplies.  Body shops charge a
lot, cause it's not a cheap deal.