[Shotimes] Re: Competition Ltd. Wiring Harnesses

James White greensho@crown.net
Wed, 2 Nov 2005 21:56:53 -0600

Quality if fine, but I had objections as to installation.

About 10 years ago I put this set-up on the '93mtx after a failed
OEM wiring harness when I switched to higher wattage bulbs.

They want you to install the feed wire to the battery cable at the
battery, but I thought that this would soon fail due to corrision.
So I made this wire longer and used the main lug on the fuse box
under the hood, just in front of the driver.

The trouble was that I could not see any real benefit.

When I installed this relay system, I also installed 80/100 watt
bulbs, also from the same people.  They lasted only one week.  I
called them, and they replaced the bulbs as defective, but the replacements
also lasted a week.

At the end of the second set's life, I drove home over 200 miles
on 2 lane roads, with only the 100 watt high beam lites on, and not
once did I get "flashed" to turn to low beams.

Seems as if the Mitsubichi (sp?) alternator stays on line but the
regulator goes off line when you switch off, meaning that if the
revs are above a certain point, there is a considerable voltage spike,
which frys the high wattage bulbs.

The real problem is the REALLY bad reflector/lense design of our
SHOs. The only real solution is another headlight with a good light
pattern (not a pricey HID thing that Herman did) that is cost effective.

I could easily done the relay thing with either of the '95mtx's but
did not bothe, because I didn;t think that it was worth either the
effort or the money.

regards, Jim White - greensho@crown.net